A lot of nice birds showed up despite the heat today!
Have a look at the pictures below!
We could spot almost the whole collection of the summer Mediterranean birds breeding at El Torcal, with Orphean, Melodious, Subalpine and Dartford Warbler, Rock and Cirl Buntings, Rock Sparrow, Blue Rock Thrush, Black and Black-eared (the two races!) Wheatears, Thekla Lark and Griffon Vulture, and the final appearance of a wonderful and close young Golden Eagle.
It was very hot at the farmlands in the middle of an unusual heat wave for this time of year so, apart from the ubiquitous Crested Larks, we had great views of Gull-billed Terns acting as “wheat field raptors” and a nice flock of Lesser Kestrels following the works of a tractor ploughing the land.
The Laguneto was very busy with many Greater Flamingoes and the typical Black-headed Gulls, Black-winged Stilts, Avocets and ducks, including White-headed ones. There were also a Black-tailed Godwit and a Sanderling both in very nice summer plumage... Still going north, already coming back, not breading? Who knows...
- Thekla Lark (Galerida theklae) Thekla Lark (Galerida theklae)
- Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis)
- Black-eared Wheatears (Oenanthe hispanica), both races Black-eared Wheatears (Oenanthe hispanica), both races
- Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos)
- Black-tailed Godwit (Limosa limosa) Black-tailed Godwit (Limosa limosa)
- Greater Flamingo (Phoenicopterus roseus) Greater Flamingo (Phoenicopterus roseus)
- Blue Rock Thrush (Monticola solitarius) Blue Rock Thrush (Monticola solitarius)